For Prospective Students
Spend a semester or year studying in Moscow at the Faculty of Business and Management of HSE University. Please check the essential information for international exchange students.
Why Choose GSB?
Consistently ranked as one of Russia’s top universities, HSE University is a leader in Russian education and one of the leading economics and social sciences universities in Eastern Europe and Eurasia. Having rapidly grown into a well-renowned research university, HSE University sets itself apart thanks to its global presence and cooperation.
Graduate School of Business focuses on training and developing globally competitive and socially responsible business leaders for Russia’s emerging digital economy. It currently has 4,000+ students in its Bachelor and Master programmes, including 400 international students.
Check out the videos to see what our students say about their experience with us.
Top-5 reasons to spend your exchange with us:
1. Worldwide reputation and rankings:
- In 2019, two of our Master Programmes ranked 51st in the QS Ranking of Master Programmes in Business Analytics and Marketing;
- Since 2018, HSE University joined the Shanghai Ranking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects and is the leader among Russian universities for Management.
2. Quality education and research:
- Advanced management theories and practice, with a focus on digital and social skills, developing an entrepreneurial mindset, project-based approaches and systemic internationalization;
- Contemporary learning methods, e.g., remote and digital formats, simulations and gamifications;
- Top Russian and international professors – internationally recognized researchers in management.
- Centrally located campus, lots of student communities and interest groups;
- Moscow’s vibrant cultural life has plenty to offer for everyone.
- Our students come from more than 30 countries;
- A bilingual educational environment;
- We have visiting professors from world's leading business schools.
5. Cooperation with corporate partners:
- We have 15 chairs, created by leading Russian and global companies
- Our corporate partners offer opportunities for internships, project work and specialized courses;
- You can network with companies’ representatives when they come to school to deliver guest lectures and workshops.
Russia and Moscow
Russia is a transcontinental country located in Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. Russia's capital and largest city is Moscow. “During any season, at any hour of the day, Moscow thrills visitors with its artistry, history and majesty,” raves Lonely Planet. The same qualities that make Russia’s iconic capital city such an amazing place to visit also make it an extraordinary destination for international study. Read further for a roundup of six reasons to take part in an exchange in Moscow.
Moscow’s strength in business studies garners special attention. Not only has the city been pegged as an up-and-coming global business education hub, but also its climate is ripe for startup success. The city offers an inside edge for entrepreneurial endeavors, including its bustling location, extensive transportation system, tax and legal incentives, and local resources.
Furthermore, its rich history and forward-facing attitude have made Moscow an intriguing study in contrasts, whereby it is once remarkably cosmopolitan yet steeped in an old-world charm. The country’s history is inextricably interwoven into everything. Amazing architecture, diverse museums and galleries, a strong theatrical tradition, extraordinary cuisine and vibrant nightlife are just a few of the exciting old and new things you’ll find in Moscow.
International studies are not undertaken in a vacuum. Rather, they take place against the backdrop of their host universities, cities and countries. When it comes to opportunities for discovering new things to see and do, there is no better place than Moscow.
From multiple locations for taking in the city’s breathtaking views to its historic center and magnificent promenade, there is an abundance of things to take in. Venture outside the city limits and you will find everything. When it comes to accessing all of Moscow’s offerings, an efficient and expansive metro system makes it much easier to get around.
Moreover, Moscow offers a wide variety of culinary options to cater to all tastes and most special diets. The city has become much more affordable in recent years, as compared to major international study destinations like New York, Sydney, London or Paris.
While learning or mastering Russian is a compelling reason to study abroad, students looking for English-taught programmes can still take advantage of everything Moscow has to offer thanks to the English-taught courses at the Faculty of Business & Management.
More information about life in Moscow: https://www.hse.ru/recommends
Inclusive Student Exchange
At GSB we offer a wide range of opportunities for student exchange for people with disabilities. HSE University can provide all the necessary special conditions for conducting classes for students, taking into account their individual psychophysical development and individual capabilities.
Students may receive the assistance of consultants who can assist in resolving current educational and organizational issues.
We aim to develop educational processes, taking into account the special needs of our students, while expanding the range of their capabilities.
Module 1: September 1 – October 20; exams: October 21 – 27
Module 2: October 28 – December 22; exams: December 23 – 31
Module 3: January 9 – March 24; exams: March 25 – March 31
Module 4: April 01 – June 16; exams: June 17 – 30
July 1 – August 31
*Dates are subject to minor changes.
Daily classes are held in double periods of two academic hours: 1 double period = 1 hour 20 minutes
Class / Time
1: 9:00 – 10:20
2: 10:30 – 11:50
3: 12:10 – 13:30
4: 13:40 – 15:00
5: 15:10 – 16:30
6: 16:40 – 18:00
7: 18:10 – 19:30
8: 19:40 – 21:00
While preparing for studies at HSE University, international students can put together a preliminary curriculum by selecting a variety of English- and/or Russian-taught courses.
Exchange students are not assigned to any particular study programme and are free to take courses from any faculty.
Things to keep in mind when selecting courses:
- some classes have a limited number of participants and are filled on a “first come, first served” basis;
- the courses you select should be approved by your home university;
- some courses may have prerequisites (in this case a Transcript of Records/a Letter of Recommendation/an entrance test may be required);
- sometimes courses may be cancelled/postponed or their scheduled time may change due to various reasons beyond our control;
- HSE University has got a distributed campus. You have to make sure the courses you select do not overlap and you have time to travel between different campuses. We recommend you to take majority of your classes within one faculty. Besides making your logistics easier, it will allow you to quickly socialize and make friends with your classmates.
If in doubt or missing the important information, write to us and we will help you to make the right choice.
1. Check out the information about opportunities for spending a semester in Moscow (usually it’s available in your international office). If in doubt or have questions or concerns, contact our team or request a video meeting with a coordinator
2. Contact the study abroad office at your home university and submit the documents, required by your university. Make sure you respect the deadlines. To be enrolled to HSE University as exchange student, you must be nominated by your home university coordinator:
for Fall semester - by April 15
for Spring semester - by September 30
3. Apply for a mobility grant/scholarship that might be available at your home university.
4. Once nominated by your home university, you will receive a welcome e-mail from us with an invitation to fill out a student account and attach scans of the required documents:
- a scan of your passport (NB! Your passport should be valid for at least 18 months from the expected start date of your entry to Russia – please check it and apply for a new passport right away if it doesn't fit this requirement);
- a transcript of your academic records in English;
- a photograph (in color with a white or off-white background without any patterns).
We handle all applications online – you will receive all details in the welcome e-mail.
5. Once you are done with you student account, we will process your documents and issue your student visa support papers.
6. Visit our “Starting Mobility” page to get more information on what you could do prior to coming to Russia and services available to our incoming exchange students.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.