• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Starting Mobility

Now that you have been nominated to study at the Faculty of Business & Management, find out what you need to do to get here. Congratulations on your nomination! Your time at Moscow will offer an adventurous and enriching experience.


Visa Application Process

In most cases, studying in Russia requires a student visa. You can read more about visa policy here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Russia

If you need a visa, make sure that you have plenty time for your application.

HSE University does not sponsor student visas and does not provide any visa support for family members or friends!

Once you submit all of required documents online, we will submit your documents for an Invitation letter. The document must state the purpose of your visit to Russia as a foreign student. The visa invitation letter will have your personal details, purpose of your visit and the duration of your stay in Russia (initially for 90 days). The issue of an invitation may take up to 45 days.

We provide our international students with electronic invitation letters, which are sent by e-mail after being issued. After you receive your invitation letter, you should apply for a student visa at a Russian General Consulate or a Russian Embassy (here is a list: http://www.russianconsulates.com/). Please check the student visa requirements at the Russian consulate in your country of residence well in advance.

As you are applying for a student visa, as per Russian legislation, you will need to provide a certificate proving the absence of HIV infection along with your visa application.

A student single-entry visa is valid for 90 days and allows you to enter the Russian Federation only once. If you leave the country with only a single-entry visa, you will not be allowed to re-enter Russia before receiving new single-entry visa.

Be prepared to stay in Russia without leaving for the first 3 months after your arrival, until you receive a multiple-entry visa.

Upon entering the Russian Federation, you must fill in a migration card. If applicable, visitors will be required to indicate their visa information on the migration card. Upon arriving at your destination in Russia, the migration card should be presented to the respective authorities to get officially registered and later for visa extension.

Your migration card should be presented at passport control when you leave. Always keep the original migration card with you.

Don’t buy your plane ticket until you get your student visa!

You can find more information about Russian migration legislation here: https://visa.hse.ru/en/faq

Back to Top

Housing and Accommodation

All international students are entitled to a place at one of HSE University’s dormitories. At the moment, the University has 12 halls of residence. You can read more about our accommodation facilities here: https://www.hse.ru/en/dormitory/

If you want to live off campus, there are many options in any locations in Moscow. Please, upon arrival, inform your buddy that you would like to stay in a private apartment and he/she will tell you more about the options available.

A dormitory space is guaranteed to every student who might be in need of it. Student bedrooms are shared and arranged on the basis of double occupancy. A health certificate (https://istudents.hse.ru/mirror/pubs/share/314809592) signed and stamped by a physician in your home country must be submitted in order to check into a dormitory.

Please remember that you must get registered your place of residence in Moscow. If you stay in a university dormitory, our colleagues obtain this registration for you. If you are living off campus, your landlord or owner of the apartment should register you. More information can be found here: https://visa.hse.ru/en/faq

Back to Top

Medical Insurance

All international students at HSE University are required to have a medical insurance policy when arriving for studies in Russia. The document should cover the whole period of your stay at HSE University. Please take care of your medical insurance before your arrival to Russia. Your medical insurance must include tests, basic diagnostics, medical certificates, dental procedures, trauma assistance and repatriation.

If you wish to continue your studies at HSE University, you can purchase a medical insurance policy from one of HSE University’s partner companies. For more information, check the Medical Aid & Insurance section on HSE University’s website: https://www.hse.ru/en/medical/ins#insurance

Back to Top

Estimated Living Costs

Prices depend on your personal lifestyle and activities:

  • Housing (on campus): approx. 2,000 RUB per month;
  • Housing (off campus): approx. 20,000-50,000 RUB per month;
  • Health insurance: approx. 4,000-8,000 RUB;
  • Food, personal expenses: approx. 10,000-20,000 RUB per month;
  • Public transportation: approx. 800 RUB per month;
  • Cell phone / internet connection: 800 RUB per month;
  • Laundry: 100-200 RUB per visit;
  • Gym pass: 1,000-5,000 RUB per month;
  • Taxi service: 150-1,000 RUB per trip;
  • Movie Ticket: 150-300 RUB per ticket;
  • Visa extension fee: 1,600 RUB.

Average basic expenses may vary between 15,000 and 25,000 RUB/month.

More information can be found at:https://www.hse.ru/recommends/costs and https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Moscow

Compare the cost of living in Russia with your home country at: www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries.jsp

Back to Top

Orientation for Exchange Students

Orientation sessions usually take place at the beginning of the semester. In order to adjust to student life, it is essential that you participate in the Orientation Session as it will provide you with essential information on studying at HSE University and living in Moscow, as well as other useful tips to help you better enjoy your time in Russia.

Back to Top

Request a Buddy

Buddies are current HSE University students who volunteer to help incoming international students to settle into life in Moscow and feel more confident in their new cultural and social environment. You can meet you buddy upon your arrival or request their help at any time throughout your stay.

What buddies do:

  • meet you at the Aeroexpress Station in the center of Moscow (not at the airport!);
  • accompany you to your dormitory and help you with the check-in process;
  • provide you with general hands-on experience (visiting campus buildings, useful apps, emergency phone numbers, etc.);
  • help you deal with local documents and forms in Russian;
  • recommend events and places in the city;
  • re-direct you to responsible persons if your enquiry requires the involvement of HSE University’s administration.

What buddies do not do:

  • meet you during night hours (from 9 PM till 8 AM);
  • become your full-time personal assistant (respect their personal time and space!);
  • offer any financial or other material help.

You can request buddy support, by using our online system: https://esnhsemsk.broaddy.com/register/international

Back to Top

Booking Your Tickets and Arriving to Russia

Please make sure to book your tickets only after you receive your visa. There are four airports around Moscow. They are all connected to the City of Moscow via high-speed trains, buses and taxi services. Choose any Moscow airport, since all airports are equally connected to the city center via Aeroexpress trains. It is best to select a flight not by the airport but rather the time of arrival: daytime or early evening is always preferable, owing to traffic.

Let your buddy know the time of your arrival and make sure he / she will meet you and where exactly.

When you arrive to the Moscow airport of your choice, you will go through border control. Keep the migration card that you receive when you enter Russia, as it has to be presented when you leave the country and you will need it while staying in Russia.  

After you collect your bags, you can go to your accommodation to check in. There are a few ways how you can get to the city center from the airport. For instance, you can take an Aeroexpress train or a reliable taxi service (e.g., Yandex.Taxi, Gett, etc.).

More information about transport in Moscow can be found here: https://www.hse.ru/recommends/transport

We kindly ask that you do not a taxi or any other services from a stranger. Remember: strangers can offer you overpriced service if you do not speak Russian.

When you reach your dormitory, you can check in. They are open 24/7. You will be asked for the Health Certificate signed by a physician in your home country.

You will need to get registered within 3 working days. At the HSE dormitory: this is done by a dormitory passport specialist; rented accommodation: the apartment owner must apply to a local territorial body of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs upon HSE’s request.

You will be provided with more information at the orientation session organized for you.

Back to Top

Pre-departure Checklist


  • passport with visa;
  • tickets;
  • health insurance;
  • health certificate signed and stamped by a physician;
  • digital copies of all documents

Essential contacts:

  • your buddy;
  • dormitory;
  • faculty staff (your coordinator);
  • embassy.

Mobile phone / laptop:

  • has enough battery power;
  • a charger;
  • make sure your home provider has a roaming agreement with a Russian mobile company so you can use your local SIM card for your first few days here; you can only buy a local SIM card after you registered at your place of residence in Moscow.


  • petty cash (3,000-5,000 RUB);
  • don’t keep large amount of cash on you!


  • check with Customs Control about policies for transporting medication.

Appropriate clothing:

  • winter coat;
  • warm hat and scarf;
  • warm socks and gloves;
  • waterproof winter boots with warm lining.

Back to Top


Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.